Salute to Her: A Celebration of 50 Years of Title IX at Pitt
PITTSBURG – Pitt Athletics kicked off its year-long celebration of women’s athletics at the University of Pittsburgh titled “Hail to Her” on Thursday, June 23 on the 50e anniversary of the promulgation of Title IX.
“June 23, 2022 is a momentous day as it gives us the opportunity to celebrate 50 years since Title IX was passed and the opportunities the law has created for women in sport,” said Pitt, director of athleticism. Heather Lyke. “Our one-year celebration is a show of appreciation for the giant shoulders we all stand on from the women who paved the way and, more importantly, keeps us focused on the next 50 years and the continued progress we will make for women.”
Landmark legislation passed in 1972 changed the face of women’s athletics and created opportunities for women across the country. Among other things, the legislation, designed to combat sex discrimination and provide equal access and opportunity to women, stipulates that no person in the United States shall, because of their sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be discriminated against in any educational program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.
Pitt will open its Title IX anniversary celebration on Thursday with a celebratory reception for staff and student-athletes, release of the Hail to Her logo, launch of the Title IX microsite, release of its redesign of PittsburghPanthers.com and the exclusive ACC network premiere of the hour-long documentary Unlimited Access with Pitt Women’s Lacrosse: The Inaugural Season.
Pitt Athletics Title IX Initiatives:
- Pitt Athletics Title IX Microsite – PittsburghPanthers.com has launched a microsite dedicated to honoring the pioneers who paved the way for Pitt. Among many items, the site will include:
- Biographies of Women of the Pitt Athletics Hall of Fame
- Women’s athletics growth timeline (coming soon)
- Video report with the sports director Heather Lyke
- Links to ACC and Alliance Title IX sites
- Hail to Her Title IX Anniversary Logo – Designed specifically to honor the 50e anniversary of Title IX at Pitt, the Hail to Her logo will be displayed in various ways throughout the year, both on-site and electronically.
- H2P Magazine Title IX Issue – A chronicle of Title IX to Pitt in H2P magazineJune issue
- Pitt Athletics Pioneer Stories
- Title IX Success Timeline
- Additional Title IX Features in Each Quarterly Edition
- Title IX Anniversary Recognitions at Home Sporting Events – Pitt will highlight the importance of Title IX at our home events throughout the 2022-23 season
- Spotlight on Title IX – Special Thanks to Title IX Pioneers and Annual Pitt Highlights: Pitt Athletics Hall of Fame Ceremony, Panthers Choice Awards, Varsity Letter Club Awardees of Distinction Dinner, and Forever Panther Reunions.
- Social content – Several social series published on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook throughout the year
- On This Date – highlighting key moments in Pitt women’s athletics history
- Pioneers of Pitt Athletics – recaps the careers of some of Pitt’s most prominent female athletes and administrators
- His Story – video series with current and former student-athletes on the impact of Title IX on their journey
Thursday is the kick off point for a solid year-long campaign that will continue to grow and evolve. Updates on other Title IX initiatives as they are finalized will be available at www.PittsburghPanthers.com/TitleIX.